Welcome to Miller General Music!
At the beginning of each year, I ask the following question: “What do you think we are going to do in our music class this year? One young lady responded, “We are going to make music.” She was right! We do “make music,” by incorporating it as a part of our everyday Miller experiences. Consequently, we use multiple teaching and learning styles, that integrate music into our classroom activities, as well as themes that connect music to our everyday lives.
Our music classes are sequenced lessons, providing continuity of musical exploration through singing, moving, listening, creating, and playing instruments. We use supportive interactive music technology that reinforces the National Music Education Standards, as well as goals and assessments established by the Nanuet Music Department.
Objectives established for our Miller General Music classes:
- Develop an appreciation for a wide variety of song genres;
- Utilize basic musical notation and vocabulary to describe music;
- Promote confidence in personal music-making as a means of expression;
- Demonstrate cooperative skills to enhance group musical performances;
- Create an environment that motivates musical interest and participation.
Welcome to Miller Physical Education!
The George Miller Elementary School physical education program has been designed to focus on goals that:
- Guide students into becoming skillful and confident movers
- Facilitate the development and maintenance of physical fitness
- Prepare and encourage students to gain skills and be active for a lifetime
- Establish a positive, safe learning environment for all students
- Create maximum opportunities for students of all abilities to be successful
- Promote honesty, integrity and good sportsmanship
- Teach a variety of physical activities that make physical education class fun and enjoyable
- Encourage the students to make healthy choices
Areas covered within the school year in grades K – 2:
- Locomotor skills (walking, running, skipping, galloping, etc)
- Manipulative skills (striking, catching, throwing, bouncing, etc)
- Soccer skills
- Football skills
- Low organizational games
- Spatial concepts
- Basketball skills
- Rhythmic and dance activities
- Physical fitness activities
- Fine motor skills
- Volleyball skills
- Playground safety
- Frisbee skills
- Character Education
Welcome to George W. Miller’s Art Department
Students are enrolled in a three year sequence of General Art Education which supports the National and New York State Art Standards. Students will make connections in Math, Science, Global & Social Studies, and English Language Arts. Project Based Learning will allow opportunities for collaborations with the Guidance department’s Character Educational Programs,
STEAM and Music & the Performing Arts
The Standards value students’ ability to:
Imagine: To form a mental image of a concept
Investigate: To observe or study through exploration and examination
Construct: To make or form by combining or arranging parts or elements
Reflect: To think deeply or carefully about art and ideas
Different materials and methods can help students explore the various techniques of art, crafts and design.
Different projects highlighting the elements and principles of art will explore:
- Folding/Ripping/Tearing /Cutting/Hole Punching
- 3D Printing
Along with producing individual pieces of art students will be called upon to discuss, question and reflect on connections made by the arts in various ways. Students will be featuring their ideas in:
- Class Discussions
- Drawing worksheets
- Mark Making Data Collection
- Celebration of the Arts
- Chamber of Commerce Art Walk & Exhibition
- Interdisciplinary Project Based Learning Experiences Please feel free to contact the art department with any questions or concerns.