The nurses of the district will be reporting to N.Y.S. the BMI results of all in the following grades: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th & 11th graders. If you do not want this information shared as a percentage (no names are shared) please email or call your child’s nurse and request to Opt out.
Lyne Louis-Charles, R.N. Miller: 627-4864 email@example.com
Kathy Mooney, R.N. Highview: 627-3490 firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathy White, R.N. Barr M.S.: 627-4041 email@example.com
Maura Hanigan, R.N. Nanuet H.S: 627-9810 firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to G.W. Miller School's Nurse Health and Wellness Page
FLU Season is here! Please click the link below to see guidelines for parents.
Revisions to School Health Services Regulations Effective 7/1/18
Effective 7/1/2018, the mandated years for health exams and screening will change. In addition, only the approved NYS School Health Examination Form may be used to document health exams to provide consistency across the state.
The Changes Are Provided Below
- Health examinations will be required in grades PreK or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11.
- Vision screening for distance and near vision acuity will be required within 6 months of admission to school and in grades Pre K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.
- Hearing screening utilizing pure tone testing will be required within 6 months of admission to school· and in grades Pre K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.
- Scoliosis screening will be required in grades 5 and 7 for girls and grade 9 for boys.
What You Need To Know
The use of the approved health form and changes to the grade level requirements are not effective until 7/1/18.
- Schools should use the current form and follow the current guidance for the remainder of this school year.
- 2018-2019 is a transition year and any health exam form signed by a NYS Physician, Nurse, Practitioner, or Physician Assistant may be accepted.
- Changes for screening grades are not effective until 7/1/18 and will not be implemented until the 2018-2019 school year.
- Schools should notify parents/guardians whose students will be in grades PreK or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 in the 2018-2019 school year now of the need to obtain a health examination for next school year.
- For the 2019-2020, ONLY the approved NYSED form will be accepted.
What You Need to Do
Make sure you read HIP emails and encourage colleagues and medical directors who are not members to sign up to assure you receive notification when the updated guidelines for Health Examination and resources to implement the requirements are placed on the NYSCSH website.
What NYSED and NYSCSH Are Doing To Assist Schools
The Center will provide sample notification letters for parents, providers and a sample transition plan for schools, as well as sample screening notification letters and signs and symptoms for classroom teachers. They will be available in early spring.